9.29.2011

Tomorrow


I've hit a wall, taller than I’ve ever hit before. It happens every so often, a moment where I realize I’ve reached the end of my current plateau. This plateau is a metaphor, representing a composite platform of my current skills, abilities, methods, approaches, beliefs, philosophies, ideals, and accomplishments. Engaging this wall is always disorienting. It seems like there’s virtually no way to begin scaling this surface. It is void of articulation, seemingly infinite in width & height, and white with a sheen just glossy enough to recognize my own blurred reflection...

The wall is a metaphor; It provides an opportunity to self-reflect and proposes a familiar yet unique challenge. These moments often lead to confusion, over-analysis, and potential detoured direction. No matter how many times I have come across this situation, it always takes a bit to remember how to proceed and move forward. Eventually, I remember. In order to gain a better perspective on the wall which stands ahead, I must move back. And the further back I move the better my sight-line becomes until, eventually, I can see the top of the wall and then I realize; that the wall I just encountered is not a wall at all. Instead, I discover, it is my next plateau of establishment. And in traveling back to gain this perspective on my next big endeavor, I encounter old friends, family, and life experiences which, I remember, have equip me with the tools, materials, and knowledge necessary to build the previous set of stairs to get me where I am today. The lesson, I tell myself, is to always make sure to revisit my previous two steps before I take my next step forward. This will insure a smooth continuous trajectory in life, which is especially critical if you have determined targets and goals far off in the distant future. Life is about discovering your personal balance between the rehearsed and improvised, the control and the chaos, the past and the future. And when you discover that balance, that is when you will truly be able to operate at your fullest potential now, in the present.

-Stephen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very well written and expressed, Stephen. I have also encountered this wall many times. At first, I just try and force myself through it but that hardly helps. I know what my ultimate goal is but I often lose sight of it in this choas we call life. When that happens, I do as you mentioned- I take a few steps back. Only then do I have a clear vision. Finding a balance has always been my greatest struggle. Maybe I'm just forcing that as well.

Post a Comment